Skip to main content

Featured

Pixel Buds A-Series | Unboxing & Hands-On

Path of the Penguin: My start with Linux




Not many people know what Linux is, in fact I didn’t even know Linux existed until 2 years ago.  This open-source kernel and the operating systems that’ve been built around it have existed for 28 years, and that’s not counting other open-source projects that came before it.  Those communities have been flourishing as many regular people, like you and me, contribute to open-source projects.  How did I get to learn about this powerful OS and it’s community?  In this blog post I’ll tell you my story and my start with Linux.


The discovery


I start this story with a discovery....of a netbook.  Yes, I promise it will make sense just give me some time.  Anyway, I was digging deep into my attic looking for any old gadgets to experiment with, while I was searching I found an old Dell Inspiron netbook.  I immediately brought it down to the table and booted it up. When windows 7 came up I tried doing some basic things such as web browsing.  Let me just say that netbooks have not aged well, I still wanted to see if I can make it useful but I couldn’t get past Windows 7 since support had ended.  When I inquired to my friends, they suggested running a lightweight distribution of Linux.  From that point forward I scoured the internet in the search for information about what exactly is Linux and the best lightweight implementations.  When I heard about Linux being open-source and free I thought 2 things: 1. wow I don’t have to pay for this!(I was a newbie to open-source and Linux back then), and 2. I need to make sure the distribution I choose is supported by some corporation.  When I saw the name Ubuntu I really didn’t think it was trustworthy(when I reflect back on it I feel kinda stupid) so instead I looked toward fedora a Linux distribution powered by Red hat Linux.  Red hat Linux is an enterprise distribution that’s owned by IBM so I looked up the process and install fedora LXDE edition on the little netbook.  After I went through the whole installation process, there was an issue with some wifi drivers(curse you proprietary broadcom drivers) after that whole debacle I continued to use it but the netbook was so weak I couldn’t even use it for basic web browsing.  Although the netbook was ultimately a bust, I will never forget my first contact with Linux.
See the source image
Tux, the mascot of Linux


Getting an upgrade



I eventually found an old Chromebook that was much more capable than the netbook I first had.  The more capable specs allowed me run a distribution called Xubuntu based on Ubuntu.  Being able to run this distribution allowed me to apple various customization to the desktop that allowed it to look way better than the regular interface.  This customization and control makes Linux very intriguing.  The way you install apps on Linux is via the terminal and yes it can daunting at first but usually when you go to the application’s website you’ll find the correct commands to install almost anything easily.  Practice makes perfect, the same applies to the command line, so just don’t give up. 



My current Linux setup



I’m still using a Windows device as my main laptop, but the Linux Chromebook is still a good secondary machine for me.  I’ll keep the blog updated with more Path of the penguin posts and other Linux and open-source news.



I bid you all safe journeys and happy computing,
best, BenTechCoder

Comments

Popular Posts