Skip to main content

Featured

Pixel Buds A-Series | Unboxing & Hands-On

Saying goodbye to the Surface Pro 4...(+ new device)

 



December of 2019 was the month I bought my Surface Pro 4, after years of using a basic Lenovo laptop I finally had an i5, a lightweight 2-in-1, a Surface Pro. I started BenTechCode from that Surface Pro 4, I wrote my first lines of HTML on this Surface Pro, and I edited my first video from that Surface pro. This Surface Pro got me through 2020, and it got me through 2020, this Surface pro was the start of so many things and now that it's gone, I want to give it a proper goodbye as I move on to a new device. So, let's start with what happened to my Surface Pro.  

 
 

So, my workflow is very is remarkably diverse which means making edits in GIMP, editing videos in HitFilm Express (earlier videos Windows video editor), and just writing blog posts in word and the blogger CMS (love that typecover!). As the year progressed, I went ahead and started using Word increasingly along with Excel for a new database that I became responsible for supporting. Of course, I also used Microsoft edge for web browsing and used about 5-8 web apps constant for productivity and communication, I also began to learn to code online with FreeCodeCamp and Visual Studio Code to make projects. After all that work, I also went ahead and logged some hours on Minecraft bedrock and Java edition, later in December Among us was added, and of course Zoom to collaborate with friends over Video chat.  

 
 


This workflow is very demanding, and I often found myself with a smoldering hot laptop tethered to the charger, especially when gaming or video export the fans would spin faster than you might think was safe. Turns out it wasn't safe, a manufacturing flaw in the Surface Pro 4's screen that is known as flicker-gate. The flaw is that when the processor, mostly the i5 and i7 Surface Pro's, were under heavy duress and heat, they passed some of that heat to the screen. Some such as the fine folks from www.most-useful.com also noted that the glue that was used to connect the ribbon cable from the device to the screen became loose when the heat from the processor made the glue pliable; without a good connection between the device and the screen several problems arose.  



 
 

This caused instances of flickering, ghosting, and lines to form on the screen, making it almost unusable when under heavy use. The last straw was when it started ghosting in the middle of a zoom call, I started for ways to fix it via software or drivers but no matter what this is bound to happen, one of the only ways to fix it was to replace the screen.  

  

 


 

 Look, even though I am a technical person (I literally write a tech blog), I just felt like it wasn't worth saving, I decided to begin my search for a used and/or new device to replace my dear Surface Pro. I eventually landed a nice used device that although was a bit banged up, it was a great deal for the price. However, before I unveil the new device, I want to say a few things about the Surface Pro 4. The Surface Pro 4 was a great device and I already reviewed it with excellencehere's the link: https://bentechcode.blogspot.com/2020/06/surface-pro-4-in-2020-review-past-to.html. However, past the review it still held up as a fast, speedy, device that punched way above its weight class, enabled me to get work done in a light, small, and comfortable package. 

 
 

 I know that this tech blog and the YouTube channel just wouldn't have been possible without that device, and it meant a lot to see it go. So goodbye Surface Pro, thanks for helping me start this blog, thanks for helping me edit and publish a YouTube channel, thanks for introducing me to web development and helping me learn web development, thanks for being able to turn into a tablet, thanks for making it easier to study, and thanks for being the best device I had in 2020. The Surface Pro 4 was the device that made the 2-in-1 form-factor real for reals and from the moment I booted it up to the minute I shipped it off I can say that Microsoft got a lot right with that device. The form-factor, hardware, and software just made the experience something unique (for the time it was released anyways). In my review I said:  

 
 

 If you can snag a great deal the Surface Pro 4 is still a great device truly worthy of transcending time. It will continue to be the device from the past that powers my future. 

 
 

 Turns out I was wrong, and flicker gate being the way this device goes out is kind of sad especially considering there were still years left in the device. However, at this point your probably wondering what I switched to, and at this point I'll tell you. I have acquired a 13.5-inch Surface Book (2015) as my new device, although it is not the top-end version it is close to maxed-out. So, I have a Dual-core i7-6600U processor with a base frequency 2.60GHz and a turbo of 3.40GHz with the original performance base not the 2016 refresh, this means I have 1GB of VRAM in an unnamed Nvidia GPU housed in the keyboard base. I will explain more about this device in the full review but if you really want to know more about the GPU here's and article from CNET that I found clears up most of the confusion: https://www.cnet.com/news/gaming-on-the-surface-book-what-you-need-to-know/ 

 
 

As for the screen we have a nice 13.5-inch screen with a 3:2 aspect ratio and support for inking, I love Microsoft Surface screens and being completely honest this screen still impresses me to this day. As for storage I have 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage, a decent amount for sure but I wish I could've gotten 16GB of RAM instead to speed up gaming and exports, better than nothing I suppose. The actual hardware is a bit scuffed up but considering the price I think I got a great deal; the beefier specs and the addition of a better GPU really opens the door for better content on BenTechCode and I'm so excited to start reviewing and producing with this device. Besides, just having a Surface book is novel as this device is a unique take and compromise between performance laptop and 2-in-1.  

 
 

Even though I have new device though I still wanted to say goodbye to the device that started it all, farewell old friend, and hopefully you don't blow up wherever you are now 

 
 

Best,

BenTechCoder

Want to support the channel and Blog? You can Buy Me a coffee with the button below!

Comments

Popular Posts